Sunday, August 18, 2013

Q and A with Halie and Kenna

Tonight's blog format is brought to you as a Q & A with the 15 year olds of the group:

Question: What surprised you about your experience in Haiti? 
Kenna- "I didn't expect to have such a deep connection with the kids. Each one that I held really touched my heart."
Halie- "I came without expectations and with an open mind but I did have some things that stood out to me.  The Haitians have a different outlook on life.  They are always satified with the little things that they do have. Even though we have way more than them, we are always wanting more. They are all so joyful, open and happy."

Question: What was your favorite thing that we did to help and how did it impact you?
Kenna- "Water truck days in City Soleil.  Finding out that we are the only organizaion that brings water into City Soleil made it even more impactful because we are their only source of fresh water and they all seem so desperate. It made me appreciate having fresh water every day because those people have to wait days before they will recieve fresh water again and maybe not at all."
Halie- "I also really enjoyed water truck days because as we were bringing them one of their basic needs. It made me realize how little they really do have.  The joy on their faces when we would pull up was priceless.  The people that were there would break into fights because of wanting water and not wanting to go without...it made me realize how much we take for granted. I think that meeting an immediate need was very impactful for me."

Question: Do you think that this trip has changed your outlook on life? Would you go on a mission trip again and recommend it for others?
Halie- "Yes, because so many of the people in Haiti are lacking the basic needs such as clothing, shelter, food and water. So many of us Americans take that for granted and don't realize how blessed we really are. I would definitely go on a mission trip agian to Haiti or elsewhere and I would also recomment it for others. It will give you a new outlook on life. It not only helps others but it helps you in your faith as well!"
Kenna- "Yes, because the Haitians are so kind, happy and content. They are also very gracious and will give whatever they have. They are not greedy and that is so different from how America is. Even though they have nothing they are more rich and that is how I want to be. I would go on a mission trip again and some day hope to be a long term missionary in Haiti. I would definitely recommend it to others because it is a really eye opening experience and changes your entire perspective on life."

Question: What did you struggle with most this week?
Kenna- "Being open and vulnerable about how seeing everything has made me feel when sharing at the end of the day. Also, sometimes everything was very stressful and chaotic but you had to push through realizing that we are not here for our own comforts, we are here to serve others."
Halie- "I struggled with seeing kids without food, clothing and not being able to fill those needs. I know that I have all of that stuff but we are not allowed to give it all to them. They need to become self sufficient in filling those needs on their own and not be dependent on us. Also, I'm a people person and open to most things, however, there were kids with no clothes and they wanted to be held too. I had a hard time picking them up at first but in the end, I accepted them with open arms."

Question: What will you do differently when you get home because of your experiences this week? 
Halie- "When I go home I will be more grateful for what I do have. I'm going to be more focused on what I need verses what I want.  I would also like to be less judgemental towards others because I appreciated how the the Haitians accepted people instead of being quick to judge."
Kenna- " I really want to try to thank God more for what I have every day. I also want to be less ignorant and more aware in general of those around me in need."

Question: Today was our last full day in Haiti. What were a couple of your highlights from the day?
Kenna- "Looking over all of Haiti from the top of the mountian. It looked so beautiful and peaceful up there. It was odd knowing how chaotic it really is on ground level. It was nice to see a different perspective.  I also LOVED the Grace Village church service. It seems so much more spirit filled than any church service I've ever been to at home."
Halie- "During the church service I was holding a baby. The mother was next to me and she seemed so concerned with my comfort while holding her baby. She took my bandana off of my wrist and wiped my sweat and she made room for me to sit on the bench. I felt very touched that she was so concerned about my comfort even though we were there to serve them.  For some reason I also enjoyed giving in to buying from the Haitians that were selling on the side streets. I bought some very random things that I didn't necessarily want but I was happy that ALL of my money went to people who really need it."

Question: We saw the mass graves today where many bodies were buried after the earthquake. How did it feel to be standing on such sacred ground?
Kenna- "I have a hard time explaining how I felt. It was a dark and heavy feeling. I felt bad for our Haitian guys who brought us there knowing that it is a very hard place for them to visit.  They lost many loved ones who are buried there."
Halie- " I felt very grateful for living where I do and being safe. I also had a hard time understanding why them? Why Haiti? It wasn't their choice to live here. They were born into all of that. Why did God choose them, there must be a reason? I also am glad that I do live in a safe place because that could have been me or my family and friends." 

Thank you for your prayers and support! 
Nikki, Kenna and Halie and the team! 

Bonding time last night enjoying FanFan yoga!


Starting the morning off with church at Grace Village with the kids and community.

Had a great time worshiping in a new environment!

Taking in the view on the hill of the mass graves site.


Shopping along the streets on the way up the mountain!

Craving american food and ice cream at the market.
 
Loving the view on top of the mountain overlooking all of Haiti!
 

2 comments:

  1. "If you don't find God in the next person you meet, it is a waste of time looking for him further."
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi

    "Each one of them is Jesus in disguise."
    ~ Mother Teresa


    Great job Kenna and Hallie. You two rock.

    Thank you all for posting your experiences in Haiti over the past week. You drove home the reality of the Haitian living conditions and the desperation that goes along with it. How can a person look at that and not help?

    The pictures meant so much too. I studied every one of them and experienced a full continuum of emotions. Marie's smile, razor wire on the top of the orphanage walls, crowds surging forward for water, the pretty little girl in the polka dot swimsuit on her back in the water, the mass grave... The pictures took me on a journey ending in my own heightened awareness.

    God bless you all for your work of faith, hope, and love!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so grateful, Kevin, for your words of support and encouragement this week It is evident that you have been a beacon of support for your daughter by the way she contributed to our team this week Ke Bondye Beni'ou!

      Delete