Thursday, August 15, 2013

First water truck day!

"If not us then who, if not me and you, right now it's time for us to do something. If not now then when will we see an end to all of this pain. It's time for us to do something." -Matthew West  This is a song that our leader started our day off with today during our morning devotional time. It was the perfect inspiration to head out to City Soleil for our first water truck day. On my trip in April, I struggled with never feeling like what we were doing was enough. The needs are endless and we are only a few people. This song gave me the comfort that indeed we are here and doing something to help.

Our first stop was definitely chaotic. It is Haiti's hot and dry season and water is scarce!  We were filling water buckets as fast and efficiently as we could. The desperation in the people was evident by the way that they were fighting to get their water buckets filled. People were trying to cut in line and do anything that they could to insure that they didn't miss out on the water. It's been so hot in Haiti that the children were taking the opportunity to cool off and play in some of the water.  Even though we were in the midst of such poverty, it was refreshing to watch the children enjoy simple pleasures such as slipping around on a slab of concrete naked and giggling like crazy. It reminded us that although we have more material riches in America, the Haitians are not lacking in spirit!  There is a sense of community that I have never witnessed in America and I believe that we could learn something from the way that they care for each other. Especially the way that the older children look out for the younger children. 

Our second water truck stop was even more chaotic then the first!  There was so much desperation for water that at times I felt like I might get trampled by the crowd. I was holding the hose and working to guide the water into the buckets with as little waste as possible. Because everything is happening so fast and people are pushing, shoving and hollering to get their bucket filled, it is inevitable that some water gets wasted. Six of my team members are part of the fast pitch team at the University of Northwestern. They obviously have the teamwork thing down because you would not believe how efficient they were at managing that chaotic line. Not only efficient but bossy and assertive!  It was awesome!  I decided that they were better off without my help and I went to interact with the kids. The truth is, I couldn't handle not being able to see if my 15 year old daughter was safe and I wanted to move my way into the crowd to keep my eye on her. The ironic thing is that I found her with the Brazilian UN. She was hanging out with them, taking pictures and playing with the kids. I guess they would be better at keeping her safe then me. :)  My daughter had her first emotional experience at that stop. She was holding a cute little girl for quite a long time. She felt a sudden tap on her shoulder and as she turned to look, the little girls mom was grabbing her out of Kenna's arms. She chased her daughter down the street and was beating her along the way. Kenna felt so heart broken and has thought about her into the evening. Like I said, this is a growing experience but she is embracing it with an open mind and heart. I've been so impressed by all of the girls. Even though I'm one of the oldest people on this trip, I feel like I have been learning so much from the younger girls. You parents out there should know that your girls are safe and AMAZING! You all did something very right! 

At our final stop I met some older boys that spoke good English. They first asked me if they could marry my daughter. After I denied them their request, they asked if I would pay their way through college or get them a job. I wanted to say "yes" so bad!  I was brainstorming in my mind how I could help them through college. How could I get them out of City Soleil. They seemed so smart and kind. Why are they living in a slum and how could I give them a better a future?  I will be thinking about them and praying for them as I fall asleep tonight. 

We were sweaty, smelly, and exhausted after our water truck day but we weren't done. Four of our team members went off to the wound clinic. I was certain that they had no idea what they were in for, and I was right. I was thankful that they volunteered! They had quite the experience and I will let them share it with you when they are ready.  I, on the other hand was encouraged to go and play soccer with the neighborhood boys. So, we hopped on the top-top (our truck),picked up about 20 boys and drove to the soccer field about 20 minutes away. It was the hottest and windiest part of the day. The field was like a dust bowl, blowing debris in our eyes. Not to mention, Haitian boys have a lot of time on their hands to master the sport of soccer.  I gave it my all for about 30 minutes and then I realized that I am 40 and I am no longer very good at soccer! hahaha! But, it was fun to watch the boys play and enjoy themselves so much!  They tried to include us moms but it worked out better for them they didn't. ;) On our way back to the neighborhood, we stopped to buy the boys some much-deserved water.  We got it on a street corner and it comes in little plastic bags that they just bite open and drink from.  Ah, so refreshing!

This evening I read a quote that said, "the soul is healed by being with children". I read another great quote that said, "the wound is the place where the light enters you". I feel like both of these sum up how we felt at the end of our day. 

Thank you for your prayers and support! 

Nikki and Kenna



 









1 comment:

  1. Oh what a wonderful post Nikki and Kenna! Matthew 25 tells us about your great ministry: "I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink".

    Your acts in a chaotic setting may be experienced as people pushing, shoving and hollering to get their bucket filled. But I know your love and willingness to serve is appreciated by them. What's more, the lord sees through unfiltered eyes. Matthew continues (25:34) "Then the king will say to those on his right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world."

    Blessings on you and the team of amazing women you are with.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete